Monday, April 20, 2009

Oh, how far I am from being a temporal millionaire

I started this blog over two years ago when I published my first zine. It was a strange time. I was on leave from my job and was home taking care of my little guy. I had taken the first step toward allowing myself to enjoy the spare time I had to be creative, to embrace the idea that life without a paying job could be rewarding, and that cooking and cleaning didn't have to define my success. While the spare time seemed sparse with a little guy to love, each moment was appreciated. I allowed myself to participate in the art world in a way I had been too intimidated to do before. I wanted to create something during this period of temporal freedom that I would actually allow other people to see, and that zine was my first happy step. I did a lot during that time, things I never thought I would do. I wrote and drew, painted and sewed, I made things, and thought things that excited me everyday. The time has zipped by, moving to NY and starting to work part-time again has limited my creative time without me even really being aware it was happening. I have just recently started the torturous process of searching for a full-time position and now realize that this creative period is on the verge of ending to some degree. (I will go back to work full-time in September). So, with that in mind I wanted to share some of my creative goals for the the next few months so that I can make the most of what free time I do have left.

1. Draw everyday for one month
2. Write Temporal Millionaire Issue #3
3. Finish the baby gift for my sister
4. Make 5 hip skirts for the summer
5. Send work to Renegade Handmade in Chicago
6. Make photo books of Eli
7. Apply to four art exhibitions (plush you!, wall graphics, womenmade gallery, mortal plush, )
8. Finish little bear project for shop
9. Finish Hoodies for shop
10. Update the TKP site
11. Update this site with new graphics

That's it for now. Eleven is my favorite number so that seems like a good place to stop. What about you? Have you reassessed your situation lately? I am more appreciative for this time after looking at what happiness it has brought my way.

Happy Monday to you.

1 comment:

Nuria Armengol said...

Hi, Lisa,
I have one of your little kitties, uncle phil, and I just read your blog, that I liked very much.
Your entry on creative time looks to me very full of so many different things that I wonder if you really can do all. I am a painter who is also trying to reorganize time and activities in order of be more connected with others but not dispersed.
Looking forward to read your news soon,
Nuria
www.nuriaarmengol.com