Friday, April 3, 2009

Super cute moss garden

Super cute moss garden Super cute moss garden

I heard about moss gardens somewhere and had it on my list of things to do with my little guy. I did a little looking on the internet and found this post by Ciao Birdie helpful. Like everything these days I wanted to do this project on the cheap and I did! I took my little helper to the thrift shop to see if we could find suitable containers and we did. We each picked our favorite container ($2 for both). The only other thing we need was something to keep the dirt from going through to the rock. Ciao birdie suggested horticultural charcoal, but fearing that something that sounded fancy might be expensive, I bought a small bag of sphagnum moss ($3.50). We found the rest of the needed supplies in our yard. I took a few containers and we started our collection. One bowl of pebbles, one of dirt, and then one of assorted moss. I was amazed at how many different kinds of moss we found in our yard. I had never looked at it that closely before. I think we found six different kinds. We brought everthing to the table and got to work putting in all the layers. First pebbles, then sphagnum moss, dirt, and finally the moss. He really enjoyed making his garden and so did I. Here is my finished product. The bowl is about the size of my palm...it's super cute. Oh, and I went with bowls that did not have a top because I knew my little guy would want to "take care" of his moss. I gave him a mister to spray it whenever he wants. It evaporates at a rate that keeps it from getting too wet with all the misting. Just right! A good project for about $5.50.

2 comments:

melinda said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! These moss gardens are adorable.

Lisa M. Dalton said...

Thanks. I'm really glad I made it. It makes me smile every time i look into it.